Physical therapy is a health care profession that provides services to individuals and population to relieve pain, develop, maintain and restore maximum movement and functional ability throughout the lifespan. Physical Therapy is concerned with identifying and maximizing the quality of life and movement potential within the spheres of promotion, prevention, treatment/intervention, habilitation and rehabilitation.Department of Physical Therapy
Physical therapist role
Physical Therapists are member of healthcare team who treat individuals of all ages, from newborns to the very oldest who have medical problems or other health-related conditions, illnesses, or injuries that limit their abilities to move and perform functional activities.
Physical therapist perform a detailed physical assessment and conduct a systems review, perform tests and measures such as strength, range of motion, balance and coordination, posture, muscle performance, respiration, and motor function, to identify potential and existing problems. Physical Therapists will then set appropriate goals with the patient and an individualized /tailor-made treatment will help the patients reach their goals.
The physical therapy department in Thumbay Hospital, Ajman was established in 2002 is one of the premier departments in the country equipped with modern electrotherapeutic modalities and advanced therapeutic exercise facilities offering quality treatment at affordable price. The department has separate male and female sections with a well-equipped therapeutic gym.
We aim to become a leader in the delivery of physical therapy services, provide you with fast access to our quality service which is evidence-based and patient-centered care. We are a large outpatient physiotherapy department with an excellent reputation, due to our highly skilled & qualified therapists. We are committed to helping people to achieve agreed goals, and strive to use the findings of medical research to help us provide the most efficient and effective treatment.
Our Physical therapists are highly qualified with specialized degrees, dynamic, efficient, well experienced professionals licensed by the Ministry of Health-UAE, dedicated to patient’s service, education and research. Our expert staff uses recent advanced treatment protocols to treat patients of various conditions, always working together with each patient to develop a treatment plan based on their unique needs and objectives. In addition, patients are provided with a home program to maximize the benefits of therapy.
The Department’s commitment to clinical research, on-going staff education and performance review, and teaching ensures that the physiotherapy service offered is of high quality and is always being improved.
The Physical Therapy department provides a range of services by using therapeutic modalities, manual therapy techniques and tailor made exercises to maximize function in patients with a range of problems, including:
Musculoskeletal and Sports Rehabilitation
- The physical therapy department offers comprehensive biomechanical assessments and individualized treatment programs for patients with a variety of musculoskeletal injuries both conservative and postoperative rehabilitation.
- Our therapists are committed to working closely with our patients and athletes to return them to the highest level of activity possible after their injury. They use a advanced assessment to develop individualized pre-operative, post-operative, and non-operative rehabilitation and conditioning programs for various sports related injuries such as tendinitis, bursitis, sprains and strains, joint pain, meniscal tear and ligament injuries.
- We also assess the work related injuries such as pain related to myofascial impairments or postural syndromes, back or neck pain and herniated disc repairs through physical modalities, postural exercise and ergonomic advice.
- A comprehensive paediatric physical therapy outpatient care focus on many childhood disorders such as Cerebral Palsy, Down’s Syndrome, Muscular Dystrophy, Traumatic Brain Injury, Torticollis, Brachial Plexus injuries, Orthopaedic injuries and Sensory processing disorders.
- We use advanced quality therapeutic techniques to focus on development training and/or rehabilitation services for the infants to adolescents through comprehensive evaluations based on the child’s needs and the concerns of their parents and physicians.
Cardio-respiratory Physical Therapy
- The Physical therapy department offers comprehensive assessments and individualized rehabilitation programs for patients with conditions such as Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury, Multiple Sclerosis, Vestibular Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy, Parkinson’s disease, Spinal Cord Injury, and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
- Our therapists use a variety of therapeutic approaches and interventions to improve cognitive function, perceptual skills, functional mobility, balance, coordination, ambulation and activities of daily living to reduce the dependency at home, work or community environments.
- We also provide specialized assessment and appropriate strategies or maneuver to treat various balance oriented disorders such as vertigo, sensory and cerebellar ataxia.
- Physical Therapy department offers advanced Cardiac & Respiratory care, monitored endurance training, education and psychosocial support specifically designed for the specialized needs at various stages such as non-operative, preoperative and post-operative phases of cardiac or respiratory diseases.
- Our therapists provide an appropriate environment to encourage active participation of patient by a clear understanding of their own health situation, current treatments and prevention strategies to attain best possible level of physical function.
- Specially trained and experienced therapists use a comprehensive approach that includes therapeutic exercises, manual therapy, electrical stimulation and biofeedback, neuromuscular re-education, postural training, patient education and an integrated home exercise program to ease many of the difficulties associated with pregnancy-induced musculoskeletal problems, pre and postnatal conditioning.
- Our therapist are specialists who understand the unique needs of older adults and prepare individualized therapeutic programs for patients who may have multiple problems – physical, cognitive and functional needs are all considered.
- We use comprehensive assessment, physical exercises and special education to prevent or manage fall and empower older patients to live as independently as possible.
- Thumbay Hospital, Ajman is affiliated to Gulf medical university
- The physical therapy department provides clinical training and education to the BPT students of the year I, II, III and interns.
The paediatric (Neuro) rehabilitation service is provided by a dedicated specialist who provides compassionate treatment for the full spectrum of paediatric conditions. We cater for children of all ages and understand the unique issues and challenges involved when treating children.
Our Physical Therapists specialize in Pediatric will evaluate the gross motor skills, such as sitting, standing and walking. After the examination, the treatment plan is then developed. The child’s therapy sessions will typically involve a variety of evidence-based techniques to improve and other functional skills. They evaluate adaptive equipment and bracing needs. They recommend appropriate equipment to increase mobility and independence.
Our Pediatric, Physical Therapist is an expert, skilled and highly regarded in this region for their skills in treating children with Cerebral Palsy, Spina Bifida, Muscular Dystrophy and related disorders. They are capable of dealing with Torticollis and every type of children’s orthopaedic problem.
P.O Box: 4184 , Ajman, UAE
Tel: +971 6 746 3333
Fax: +971 6 746 4444